In the final game of a three-game set at PNC Park, the Pittsburgh Pirates (16-23) play the St. Louis Cardinals (22-18), Sunday at 11:35 AM ET.
The Cardinals are the road favorite (-150) versus the Pirates (+130). The Cardinals will start with Steven Matz (3-3) versus the Pirates and Bryse Wilson (0-2).
These squads play again following the Cardinals’ 5-4 Victory over the Pirates Yesterday. Drew VerHagen (2.1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 2 K) picked up the win for the Cardinals. Paul Goldschmidt went 4-for-5 with two doubles and two RBIs to lead the team on offense. Jose Quintana (3.2 IP, 2 R, 7 H, 4 K) took the castle on the mound for the Pirates.
Before the Cardinals vs. Pirates Matchup, here is what you need to prepare for Sunday’s baseball action.
St. Louis Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates Odds and Betting Lines
Major League Baseball odds courtesy of Tipico Sportsbook. Odds updated Sunday at 5:03 AM ET. For a full list of sports betting odds, access USA TODAY Sports Betting Scores Odds Hub.
- Favorite: Cardinals (-150, but $ 150 to win $ 100)
- Underdog: Pirates (+130, but $ 100 to win $ 130)
- Over / under: 9
Deposit $ 10, GET $ 200 INSTANTLY: Get action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook. Exclusive USA TODAY Network offer: Deposit $ 10, get $ 200 in betting credit instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. But now!
Cardinals Stats and Trends
Cardinals Betting Records
- This season, the Cardinals have won 12 out of 20 games, or 60%, in which they’ve been favored.
- St. Louis has a record of 8-6, a 57.1% win rate, when favored by -150 or more by oddsmakers this season.
- The bookmakers’ Moneyline implies a 60% chance of a Victory for the Cardinals.
- St. Louis and its opponents have hit the over in 19 of their 41 games with a total this season.
- In 40 games with a spread this season, the Cardinals are 22-18-0 ATS.
Steven Matz (Cardinals Probable Starter)
- Matz (3-3) will take the mound for the Cardinals, his ninth start of the season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Tuesday when they gave up two earned runs and allowed three hits in five innings against the New York Mets.
- The 30-year-old has pitched to a 6.03 ERA this season with 10.6 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 1.9 walks per nine across eight games.
- He has two quality starts in eight chances this season.
- Matz has pitched five or more innings in two straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Pirates have scored 129 runs this season, which ranks 29th in MLB. They are batting .224 for the campaign with 30 home runs, 26th in the league.
- The Pirates have gone 9-for-18 with a double, a home run and seven RBI in one game against the left-hander this season.
Cardinals Batting Stats
- The Cardinals’ 36 home runs rank 17th in Major League Baseball.
- The offense for the Cardinals has a slugging percentage of .389 this season, 13th in MLB.
- St. Louis ’.250 batting average is among the best in baseball, ranking third in MLB.
- The Cardinals have scored 182 runs this season, which ranks eighth in MLB.
- St. Louis is among the best in the league at getting on base, ranking seventh with an OBP of .320.
- The Cardinals rank fourth in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 7.3 whiffs per contest.
Pirates Stats and Trends
Pirates Betting Records
- The Pirates have been chosen as underdogs in 31 games this year and have walked away with the win 12 times (38.7%) in those games.
- This season, Pittsburgh has come away with a win eight times in 22 chances when named as an underdog of at least +130 or longer on the Moneyline.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the Moneyline set for this Matchup that the Pirates have a 43.5% chance of pulling out a win.
- Contests with Pittsburgh have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 15 of 39 chances this season.
- The Pirates have posted a record of 19-20-0 against the spread this season.
Bryse Wilson (Pirates Probable Starter)
- Wilson makes the start for the Pirates, his fifth of the season. He is 0-2 with a 5.67 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 27 innings pitched.
- The righty last appeared in relief on Monday, when they threw 5 1/3 innings against the Chicago Cubs, allowing three earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- The 24-year-old has a 5.67 ERA and 7.3 strikeouts per nine innings during seven games this season, while giving up a batting average of .287 to opposing batters.
- Wilson will try to secure his second outing of five or more innings pitched this season. He averages 3.3 innings per appearance.
- They will take the mound against a Cardinals offense that ranks fourth in the league with 339 total hits (on a .250 batting average). The team also slugs a collective .389 (13th in the league) with 36 total home runs (17th in MLB play).
- Wilson has pitched four innings, giving up three earned runs on five hits while striking out two against the Cardinals this season.
Pirates Batting Stats
- The Pirates have hit the fifth-fewest home runs in baseball this season (30).
- So far this season, the Pirates are slugging .348, the fourth-lowest average in baseball.
- Pittsburgh’s .224 batting average Ranks 24th in the league.
- The Pirates score the second-fewest runs in baseball (129 total, 3.3 per game).
- Pittsburgh is 24th in baseball with a .293 on-base percentage.
- The Pirates’ 8.8 strikeouts per game rank 20th in baseball.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Gannett may earn revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ only. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).